We are now using an online service called eConsult. It can be accessed via our website on your computer, mobile or tablet device. This will allow you to get help or advice from your GP online and receive a response by the end of the next working day. This means no more time wasted queuing on the phone or sitting in the waiting area for your appointment.
When to use the eConsult messaging system to contact the GP?
- Sick note requests
- Submitting blood pressure readings
- Administrative queries
- Clinical issues not requiring a face-to-face appointment or telephone call
- Photos of skin lesions / rashes for the GP to review
- An issue that can wait for a response within 5 working days
When not to use eConsult messaging system to contact the GP?
- Fevers or feeling unwell
- Urgent matters needing a reply within 24 hours
- Jumping the queue for a routine appointment
- To bypass waiting for an already booked appointment
Watch this video for more information about how eConsult works:
How do I use eConsult and what happens after I submit the form?
- You will have the option to get general advice, help for a specific condition or administrative request.
- Once a condition is chosen, you can access self-help information, access local services and pharmacy advice, or get advice from your GP at the surgery.
- If selecting ‘treatment and advice from my GP’ you will be directed to complete an online form about your symptoms. You will need to confirm that you do not have any symptoms that require immediate or urgent care. Please answer questions as accurately as you can so we can find the best way to help you.
- You will then complete the eConsult online form and provide your phone number and email address at the end.
Following this you will be emailed a confirmation of the consultation and the practice will respond to you by the end of the next working day (but maybe earlier). We may be able to deal with the issue immediately, or we may book a telephone, video or face-to-face consultation.
|When can I use eConsult?||eConsult is normally available during surgery hours. Outwith those times please contact NHS 111.|
|What happens if I have more than one issue?||Please submit one eConsult per problem. This may mean you are submitting more than one eConsult. This will allow us to gather more accurate information to help you.|
|When will I get a response back?||The clinician will review your response and get back to you by the end of the next working day. We will contact you by phone or by email.|
|What about the Elderly and Vulnerable?||Elderly patients who have access to the internet can use the service, otherwise they can call the surgery as usual on the practice telephone number.|
|What about my Child?||Parents can submit an eConsult on behalf of their children if they are > 6 months. For children < 6 months please phone the surgery.|
|How old do I need to be to use eConsult?||You can submit your own eConsult once you are 16 years old. If you are aged 16-17, to submit an eConsult please click here and select the ‘For your child’ tab. If 18 or over submit your eConsult normally. If you are below 16 and wish to discuss an issue that your parents are not aware of, please phone the surgery to speak to reception.|
|But I need to be seen?||Your eConsult will be reviewed by your GP and if you need to be seen for a face-to-face appointment, you will be advised of this by your GP.|
|What happens if my condition is not listed on eConsult?||If your condition is not listed, please select the option ‘Ask about general symptoms….’|
|Can I submit photos?||You may be asked to submit a photo with your eConsult to help us diagnose you. However, please do not include photos of intimate areas – for example genitalia or breasts. See video below for further information on how to upload photos.|
|I completed an eConsult, but I have not heard back from the practice.||This should not happen, however if it does and you have not heard back from the practice by the end of the next working day, please contact the surgery who will deal with this promptly.|
|I have an administrative request.||You can submit admin requests such as requesting a fit note (sick note) by visiting our website, go to the eConsult banner and select administrative requests.|